Friday, May 1, 2009

Getting Serious...Seriously.

Epiphony.

I realize having a baby is a HUGE life changing experience. Especially this new mamma. I am in my 30s and have been married for 7+ years. So naturally I have had some major adjustments with becoming a mom. First adjustment, learning how to do life on the least amount of sleep ever! Also, expanding my support system. When it was just me and my husband, we supported each other great. We have great friends we get together with from time to time. Our day to day lives included our work and schooling environments which also provided the social stimulation surrounding the context of our lifestyles. My lifestyle has changed completely. Now I have had to expand my support system to include other SAHMs (stay at home moms-umm..yea...I totally didn't know what those letters stood for until late!) with children. It is my life now. It is different. My social circles now are very different. I am going to call it my 'culture shock' experience. Who would have thought that I would ever consider 'diapers' such an interesting topic of discussion-hahaa. I am centered around this baby. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BEING A MOM. After years of infertility, failed medical procedures, discouragement, hope, discouragement, hope again I am forever grateful to God for our adoption miracle. Baby C is perfect. YES, PERFECT. (yes, I am also one of those moms now, you know who constantly talks about their baby and you want to tell them, "ok, I get it your kid is adorable, perfect, wonderful, etc,!" Newsflash, my new trait (I am sure annoying to some) that isn't going away.)

Epiphony.

Change = resistance. In everything in life. Even when the change is good. Change = embracing the new, letting go of the old. Change needs to be put in the appropriate context. Some change is permanent, some change is temporary or for a season. I knew that an area of my life that would be affected temporarily after having a baby would be my health/fitness goals. Going back to school full time, having a husband in law school full time and taking care of a baby with NO sleep = CRAZY. So naturally I went to sources that helped the quickest. SUGAR. Yes, the sugar got me through many late nights, early mornings, and deadlines. Baby C no longer struggles with colic and he is doing better sleeping at night (though he still frequently throws us some curve balls). However, with the lack of night sleep and the toll of taking care of a baby 24/7 , although rewarding, is very tiring on your system. I had planned on staying strong with running and going to the gym, but that too has easily become lax. Before baby C, I would workout and run at 5am every morning. Many times I have ditched my early morning running buddy and workouts. I have become inconsistent with exercise and consistent with sugar.

Epiphony.

Well last week, baby C turned 6 months old. I was thinking about my health and the fact that I have gained 13 pounds!! It came to me..my epiphony, it is time to get back on the band wagon of health. I no longer can use lack of sleep as an excuse and sugar for my daily fuel. Although I still wish I had more sleep, it has been 6 months since baby C has been born, which means my body has had to become adjusted to this lifestyle by now, so I CAN handle getting up and working out!! Yes, liberating thoughts right there. I have run all week with my running buddy because I thought, 'yes you are tired, but your body is used to it now, so you can handle it'. It has been such a great week!!!



AHHH...so now, I am getting serious....seriously. Back to my routine. Care to join me with these goals???



1. Run 3+ days a week

2. Lift weights 2+ days a week

3. Healthy food log

4. Sugar free (in the form of sweets, candy, chocolate, etc, of course)

(may eat a treat on saturday, if goals 1 & 2 are maintained)



Stay tuned to for my hopefully 'keeping it up' posts....

0 comments: